Clients often ask if I personally carry earthquake insurance and the answer is a resounding YES! I've seen the losses, emotional and financial, that earthquakes cause. I sincerely believe that reimbursement from an earthquake policy may mean the difference between despair and hope for many families after the "big one."
Relying on the government to declare a disaster area and providing the finances to assist me with rebuilding my family's life just doesn't seem like a good idea.
I am thankful that I have a financially strong and viable insurance solution that will allow families to re-establish their lives as quickly and completely as possible after a disaster.
Earthquakes can strike anywhere, anytime, and without prior warning – and your best bet is to make sure that you and your family are prepared in case an earthquake happens.
Disaster preparedness starts with education:
- Make sure that your family, and especially your children, know where to go should an earthquake occur. The best bet may be to “Duck and Cover” under a sturdy, heavy piece of furniture.
- Be patient and wait in your hiding place for several minutes after an earthquake, since aftershocks may occur.
- Teach your children that it’s OK to stay at school or daycare, after an earthquake strikes, and that you will pick them up as soon as it’s safe.
- Have one or more disaster kits ready in your home, car, and in a safe place outside your home. To learn what should be included, visit www.fema.gov or www.ready.gov.
- In your home, securely fasten shelves and furniture to walls, store large or heavy things on lower shelves, and learn how to turn off gas and water lines if necessary. (To turn your gas line back on, you need to contact the responsible
- Make sure your home is bolted to the foundation. If it isn't this may cause even more damage to your house in the event of a quake. Call us for more information on how to get your home prepared for an earthquake.
- Keep in mind that a standard homeowners policy does NOT cover any damage caused by an Earthquake. If you would like to insure your home for earthquake damage, we can help! We offer earthquake insurance coverage that supplements your homeowners policy.